UN Dispensary Physician at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Company: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Location: Nigeria
- State: Abuja Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Nigeria
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: UN Dispensary Physician
Job ID: 33294
Practice Area – Job Family: HIV and Health – PHYSICIAN
Vacncy type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility of renewal
- UN field personnel are exposed to various health and security hazards that may result in disease; psychological trauma and life threatening injuries. Dedicated, effective primary health, occupational health and emergency medical services may mitigate negative outcomes of trauma, injuries and health complications providing better chances for saving lives as well as for faster and better recovery.
- The UN Clinic Physician, is part of the UN common services of the UN country team in (duty station) and administered by UNDP.
- The UN Clinic Physician will attend to the UN Clinic on a full time basis and provide medical services to staff members and their dependents. In addition, he/she will facilitate for medical evacuations and cooperate with headquarter offices on all related matters and ensures consistent delivery of high quality medical services to the UNCT.
- The UN Clinic Physician will also be responsible for medical examinations of staff, a responsibility he/she will share with other designated UN Physicians. (The UN Clinics operate, with regard to technical matters only, under the general supervision of the UN Medical Director and with UNDP on regards of all administrative matters).
Reporting structure and partners:
- Under the overall supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator with regards to all administrative matters and the general supervision of the UN Medical Director with regards to technical matters, UN Clinic Physician, will provide clinical services including medical consultations and emergency care, and supervise the work of the medical staff (including nurses, lab technician and pharmacist).
- The incumbent will promote proactive occupational health policies and best practices and procedures in the medical services in conjunction with Administration. This will include outreach to staff and dependents in the areas of preventative health. The UN Clinic doctor is expected to take part in the HIV work in the UN work place as outlined in UN One for All. S/he is part of the emergency response team and will as such work closely with DSS in implementing case-vac and mass casualty response.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend the United Nations Clinic on a full time basis.
- Respond to acute emergencies in line with international protocols such as advanced trauma life support management and advanced cardiac life support or Pre Hospital Trauma life support.
- Be able to do triage and primary stabilization.
- Undertake day-to-day clinical duties, e.g. walk-in clinic, pre-placement and periodic medical examinations and immunizations.
- Provide health education.
- Participate in addressing work environment and occupational health issues.
- Undertake medical examinations for UN Agencies international and local staff and dependents.
- Diagnose and recommend treatment to all staff visiting the Clinic on a daily basis.
- Be on call during and outside office hours to observe and treat emergencies in the UN Clinic. Undertake house calls when required.
- Responsible for entry and periodic medical examinations for United Nations staff members who choose to use the UN Clinic for their examinations.
- Medical Administrative Duties:
- Liaise with other UN Clinics, host-nation medical facilities and medical facilities abroad to coordinate medical evacuations.
- Follow the United Nations established policies and procedures regarding medical clearances, sick leave and medical evacuations.
- Recommend medical evacuation when required to RC (the doctor recommend as the medical expert, submit evacuation request to UN Clinic Health Manager for authorization and facilitate medical evacuations of UN staff and their dependents). Responsible for all paper work and reporting procedures for medical evacuations in line with UN Rules and procedures.
- Ensure proper follow up on all cases
- Application of terms of reference in UNDP POPP for rules and regulations regarding UN Clinic operations
- Responsible for establishing good relations with reliable hospitals, private medical facilities and blood banks and local physician, including UNEP if available.
- Keep constant contact with the United Nations Designated Examining Physicians to facilitate their availability as and when required;
- Ensure that proper medical records are kept in a strictly confidential manner.
- Maintain emergency medical supplies and equipment to be used in case of emergency situation;
- Replenish first aid kits and other essential medical supplies kept in other duty stations within the country
- Recommend procurement of vaccines, medical supplies and equipment, and ensure that inventory is kept.
- Maintain medical records of all United Nations personnel thru Medgate (Electronic Medical Records System) and advise health precautionary steps to new staff members; already include above
- Prepare and send periodic (quarterly) reports of functions, visits, medical evacuations and treatments at the UN Clinic to the United Nations Medical Service; included below.
- Advise on health precautionary steps to be undertaken at the duty station, and perform any other duties as considered necessary by the United Nations Medical Director and/or the UN Resident Coordinator.
- Supervise, distribute work to the nurse (s) and other staff of the United Nations Clinic; included below
- Manage day-to-day mission medical support operations by ensuring availability of supplies and proper functioning of medical equipment;
- Ensure that appropriate training programs are implemented in order to maintain and develop the medical capabilities (e.g. health education, HIV/AIDS prevention, First aid and CPR).
- Responsible for regular reporting on clinic activities, medical facilities available locally and other statistical information as may be required. • Responsible for the supervision and distribution of work for the nurse(s) and other staff of the UN Clinic.Coordination of UN One for All Activities:
- Planning and organization of training of focal points and peer educators;
- Arranging the dissemination of UN policies on HIV/AIDS.
- Conducting an education and information campaign.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree in Medicine from an accredited University and currently licensed to practice within home country or other national jurisdiction;
- Valid certification in Advanced Trauma Life support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support Or Prehospital trauma life support is required;
- Certification in HIV care or VCCT is desirable.
- At least five (5) years progressive experience and practice in general medicine in developing countries or countries in conflict, of which at least one year should be in Trauma and Emergency care and two years in Internal Medicine;
- Surgical, ICU, aeromedical or anesthetic experience is an advantage; Experience in Tropical Medicine, Occupational health experience is an asset
- Previous UN medical system/international medical experience is desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is expected
- Knowledge of clinical, occupational and tropical/travel medicine. Formal training in CPR and, preferably in BCLS and ACLS or equivalent emergency medical care.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Technical / Functional:
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Commitment to Continuous Learning:
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Fluency in English is required.
Application Closing Date
3rd November, 2020.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Important applicant information Applicant information about UNDP rosters:
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Popular Jobs this WeekSubmit CVs – New Recruitment at Freight Forward Company Limited
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Renmoney
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Cross River State Ministry of Aviation (22 Positions)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Machineyard.com.ng
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Omnibiz Africa
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Aymie Staffing Solutions
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Griffiths Schools
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Arit of Africa Limited
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Lighting Finance Technology Nigeria Limited
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Chibek Instruments Limited
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at One Acre Fund