REACH Field Officer at ACTED Nigeria
- Company: ACTED Nigeria
- Location: Nigeria
- State: Katsina Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Nigeria
ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 14 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: REACH Field Officer
Supervisor: Field Manager
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two INGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction, and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
Context / Country
- For the better part of the last decade, and particularly since 2014, the 7 states that comprise the North West region of Nigeria have experienced increasingly deadly intercommunal conflict and organized crime resulting in the displacement of more than 200,000 people, and the death and disappearance of thousands more.
- This same region has the highest poverty rate in Nigeria – some states recording poverty levels as much as 40% higher than the national average. The North West has the highest rate of out of school children in the country, and millions are believed to lack access to health care, clean water, and childhood immunizations.
- Underlying the region’s accelerating insecurity and extreme poverty is the desertification of land brought on by climate change, which has left millions of pastoralists and farmers without their principal source of livelihood. Compounding the displacement crisis is recent flooding which since August has destroyed tens of thousands of homes, and hundreds of thousands of hectares of crops.
- The overwhelming focus on the humanitarian crisis in the North East, coupled by the widespread inaccessibility and volatility of the North West, and the likely underestimation of the scale of insecurity, has resulted in a shortage of critical information needed to respond to the quickly growing crisis. As partners prepare to respond to the region’s increasing needs, they will near a clearer picture of displaced household’s needs, intentions, and demographics.
- In recognition of the urgent need for data in areas of Katsina, Sokoto and Zamfara, REACH intends to conduct data collection in site where the affection people can be located across the three state.
- Through Rapid assessment approach, to provide regular, reliable indicative tracking of humanitarian needs over time, to support in prioritization and identification of “hot-spot” areas witnessing a deterioration of humanitarian needs. To ensure this data is directly informing humanitarian response planning in the region.
- This data will be shared through formal coordination structures, such as OCHA, the Inter-Sector Working Group (ISWG), and relevant sectors, with feedback from partners used for both triangulations of gathered data as well as to inform research design and geographical targeting.
About the Job
- The REACH Field Officer will lead Field Assistants and enumeration teams of up to 10 or more individuals and be responsible to providing direction, logistical and technical support.
- They will also support the REACH Regional Representative/REACH (Senior) GIS/Assessment Officers/REACH (Senior) Field Officers/REACH Database Specialist as needed.
The REACH Field Officer shall be responsible for:
- Managing Field surveyor teams
- Data collection and quality assurance
- Focus group discussion facilitation
- Supervise field surveyor during remote data collection
- Conduct remote data collection when needed
- Cover other field locations and other projects when needed
- Field FLATS support (finance, logistics, administration, and security)
- Local Engagement
- Any other tasks need to ensure the success of the REACH mission in Nigeria
Managing enumeration teams:
- The REACH Field Officer will lead enumeration teams of up to 10 individuals and be responsible to providing direction, logistical and technical support to the enumerators.
- They will also support the REACH Assessment/GIS Officer/Field Manager/Senior Field Officer as needed; they will directly manage enumeration teams and ensure key informant networks are developed and maintained.
Data collection and quality:
- The REACH Field Officer will manage the data collection process. They are responsible for ensuring the enumerators are following data collection procedures, conducting monthly trainings on the tool for enumerators and reporting any challenges relating to data collection or quality to the Field Manager.
- They will conduct daily briefings for enumerators to address any problems identified in the email updates from the database unit and Field Manager.
Focus group discussion facilitation and analysis:
- The REACH Field Officer will facilitate or co-facilitate focus group discussions in the IDP/Returnee site/settlements and provide transcription, translation and qualitative analysis of the results as required.
Conduct remote data collection when needed:
- The REACH Field Officer will carry out data collection as required by the Field Manager or Assessment Officer.
- The remote data collection will be conducted on need basis in other to cover locations that IMPACT/REACH has no present.
Supervise field surveyor during remote data collection:
- The REACH Field Officer will supervise the field surveyor in the designated call center (s) for remote data collection. FO will assign team lead among the team of the field surveyor for regular update from the center and on availability or need for contact numbers of either key informant or Household through snowballing or readily available contacts.
Cover other field location and projects when needed:
- The REACH Field Officer is expected to support the expansion plan of the project and other developing projects in the min the North-west mission. FOs will be required to travel to other LGAs as directed by the Field Manager.
- They will recruit field surveyors, train them, monitor and supervise the data collection process. Likewise, Field manager can assign any FO to support any project within the IMPACT/REACH mission in Nigeria as require by the IMPACT country coordinator.
- The REACH Field Officer will provide FLATS support to the Field Manager by filling and tracking order forms and tracking existing and incoming REACH assets in field locations as needed.
- They will also provide support in organizing movement of REACH teams to and from field locations, identifying accommodations and office space if needed, and liaising with appropriate government authorities to ensure REACH can conduct activities as needed. In coordination with the Field Manager, they will manage the hiring process for field surveyor and ensure their payments are processed as at when due.
- They will communicate challenges relating to FLATS to the Field Manager in a timely manner.
- The REACH Field Officer will seek to build positive relations with local governments, traditional leaders, Community based organizations, partners, and other relevant stakeholders.
- They will follow guidelines from the Field Manager and report challenges to the Senior Field Officer and the Field Manager.
Managing Field surveyor teams:
- The REACH Field Officer will primarily be responsible for managing the organization’s assets at the call centers/field during data collection whenever the assets are in use for data collection.
- The REACH Field Officer will participate in other, undefined tasks that are necessary to support the REACH mission in Nigeria.
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries:
- The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities we work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner.
- Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about ACTED programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies. This is the responsibility of every ACTED staff member.
- All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability Moreover, we also expect the following:
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline (social science, development) required
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in humanitarian or development organizations, preferably in a field-based position
- Willingness and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced field environment for extended periods of the time required
- Strong skills with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience using ODK for quantitative data collection, or the ability to rapidly master the process
- Experience hiring and managing casual laborers
- Experience conducting focus group discussions, or the ability to learn rapidly
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in IDP/Conflict affect settlements is an asset
- Spoken fluency in English and Hausa required
- Strong written skills in English and Hausa and Fulani required
- Spoken Hausa strongly preferred
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness to cover other locations when needed
- Contract duration: 3 months
- Number of positions 1
- Location: Katsina, Sokoto and Zamfara (Base Katsina)
- Level: D2-1 (National contract)
- Start date: ASAP
Application Closing Date
21st October, 2020.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
- Interested candidates are invited to send a cover letter and an updated CV as a single document (3 page minimum) in English.
- Contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional references must be provided, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer including that of the HR/Admin person. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applicants who are able to perform the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered. CV’s - only applications will not be considered.
- Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail; otherwise, it may not be considered
- CVs will be review on rolling bases
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview. We apologise for the inconvenience.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- For general information about ACTED, please consult: www.acted.org
Popular Jobs this WeekSubmit CVs – Latest Recruitment at MainOne Cable Nigeria
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Rural Homes Limited
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Ralds & Agate Limited
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Health Strategy and Delivery Foundation (HSDF)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Chemonics International
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Save the Children Nigeria
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Vincintoire Limited
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Risk Control Services Nigeria Limited (12 Positions)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Growth in Value Alliance (GV Alliance) Partners (12 Positions)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Konga Nigeria
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Willers Solutions Limited (21 Positions)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at TeamAce Limited (12 Positions)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Ultimus Holdings (11 Positions)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at U.S. Mission
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Asset and Equity Group
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at KPMG Nigeria
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Bethsaida Group of Companies
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Norwegian Refugee Council (12 Positions)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Green Habitat Initiative (GHI) – (13 Positions)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Skill “G” Nigeria Limited
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at SPIE Oil & Gas Services
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at 9mobile
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Appzone Limited