AfDB Job Vacancy : Principal Agricultural Economist
Welcome to Jobsinnigeria.careers. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Nigeria. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
- Location: Gabes, Tunisia
- State: Nigeria
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Nigeria
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Agricultural Economist – RDGN2
Position N°: 50054825
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery ‘responsible for operational relevancy, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- The Vice Presidency Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Members Countries and will oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates
The Hiring Department/Division
Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex, the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries. The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s :‘Light Up and Power Africa’, ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ and ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
The mission of the Agriculture, Human & Social Development Division is to contribute to the Bank’s efforts to reduce poverty and promote sustainable development in Regional Member Countries. It does so by (1) contributing to development of country and regional strategies and building sector knowledge and (2) focusing on project/programme origination and delivery for approval of operations defined under the High 5 priorities.
The Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department provides support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025. The strategy aims to end hunger and rural poverty in the next decade through self-sufficiency in 18 priority commodity value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones. Realizing the objectives set forth in the strategy requires increased productivity; value addition; investment in infrastructure; an enabling agribusiness environment; capital flows; and inclusivity, sustainability, and effective nutrition. The Department leads the effort to transform agricultural systems for greater competitiveness, inclusivity and sustainability, and for enhanced job creation and poverty reduction.
- The Principal Agricultural Economist will participate in the implementation of the Agenda for the Transformation of Agriculture in Africa; provide technical support to the Bank Group’s operational activities in the field of agriculture and rural development, technical studies and institutional mechanisms for agricultural projects/ programs proposed for Bank financing, as well as the feasibility study of their current and future impact and benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the Division Manager RDGN.2, in collaboration with the Project Coordinators, the Principal Agricultural Economist is responsible for execution of the following activities with the associated deliveries:
- Carry out analyses of agricultural sector issues, produce policy papers and propose operations to address challenges.
- Conduct field missions to identify, prepare, evaluate and / or oversee the implementation and monitoring of Bank-financed projects, programmes and sector studies, follow procurement, disbursement and reporting procedures to ensure that they comply with Bank’s Rules and Procedures; or to bring partners to carry out these missions;
- Provide assistance to borrowers in understanding and implementing Bank Group policies and procedures as well as issues related of projects and programs and resource use;
- Contribute in negotiation projects with representatives from Regional Member Countries and support projects in the Board;
- Provide technical input to the preparation of Country Strategy Papers and portfolio reviews, with particular emphasis on the agriculture and rural development sector;
- Facilitate, direct, as necessary, reviews of the agricultural sector, preparation of agricultural and rural development projects, mid-term reviews and missions, and processing of project completion procedures;
- Participate in drafting terms of reference (TORs) for studies proposed for Bank financing and participate in the evaluation and processing of agricultural and rural development projects;
- Prepare terms of reference and support the Division directorate in selecting consultants for missions and oversee the technical aspects of their work;
- Review procurement documents from Regional Member Countries to ensure that they are in line with the Bank Group’s Rules and Procedures for procurement and make proposals for actions to be taken by the Bank and relevant implementation entities;
- Review feasibility studies and progress reports on projects and make proposals for actions to be taken by the Bank and the executing agencies;
- Provide technical advice to the Disbursement Division of the Bank on the eligibility of project expenditures;
- Oversee agricultural projects financed by the Bank; Communicating – giving / exchanging ideas, advising, explaining – with the head of division, division staff, project managers, various donors and counterparts from other multilateral institutions;
- Supervise the recruitment and performance review of external auditors;
- Perform others duties as assigned by supervisor.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- At least a Master’s degree in Development, Agricultural Engineering (or related discipline), with a specialization in agricultural economics or agro economics.
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience, with particular expertise in designing and supporting projects implementation in international financial Institutions.
- Experience in supporting private sector operations would be an added advantage.
- Proven ability to implement country or sector level agriculture analytical and capacity building initiatives;
- A good understanding of cross-cutting issues beyond agriculture and social development (e.g. procurement, governance, donors’ practices) at sector/country level;
- Good knowledge of strategy to deliver transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty;
- Good knowledge of key aid effectiveness issues especially harmonization of donors’ practices and alignment to borrowers systems.
- Demonstrated intellectual leadership and ability to integrate sector specific knowledge with broader operational strategy and research objectives;
- Good networking skills and judgment which are required in the management of professional relationship with external partners working in Africa.
- Client Orientation to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, to ensure the clients receive the best possible service from the Bank.
- Ability to apply innovative approaches and change working methods while remaining effective in changing working conditions.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Application Closing Date
18th October, 2018.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application Online : Click Here Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.