The UNWFP Jobs in Nigeria : Logistics Officer
Welcome to Jobsinnigeria.careers. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Nigeria. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to email@example.com
- Company: The United Nations World Food Programme
- Location: Borno, Nigeria
- State: Borno Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Nigeria
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The position is located in Maiduguri, Nigeria.
To contribute to daily planning and coordination of WFP logistics operations including monitoring of services provided by contracted external organizations to ensure cost-effective operations and that set objectives are achieved in full.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute towards the development of logistics plans and processes ensuring compliance with wider logistics policies and WFP standards.
- Support or manage logistics projects or operational activities following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
- Collect and analyse data through research and networking with colleagues to recommend actions to senior staff to improve performance of local logistics operations.
- Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimise use of available funds.
- Contribute to consolidation and preparation of operational pipeline planning, and to the management of operational aspects of the supply chain (procurement, shipping, port operation), including checking document and customs clearance readiness, loading and discharging operations and contracting of applicable transport, warehouse and any relevant logistics services.
- Contribute to supply chain by providing technical support and guidance to other CO unit/ services, divisions, particularly for emergency response.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), supporting a WFP-wide view of logistics activities that enables informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries (e.g. through the design and review of training materials).
- Identify and build productive relationships with logistics colleagues and staff within the area of assignment to support an integrated approach to food assistance.
- Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices, participate in preparation of CO Logistics Capacity Assessment (LCA), to ensure WFP are able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Participate in the on-going review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase the day-to-day efficiencies.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Other as required.
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Supply Chain Management and Optimization
Analyses context of country challenges in order to lead the design and management of supply chain network, to proactively mitigate and/or address dynamic supply chain challenges, to ensure operational optimization.
Planning, Project & Resource Management
Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.
Information Management & Reporting
Ability to proactively identify gaps in information and findings, analyse and evaluate information, develop statistics, and translate into information management products to facilitate decision making and demonstrate performance.
Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution
Demonstrates ability to collect market information and process and analyse proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.
Warehouse and Inventory Management
Plans, coordinates and manages service providers and warehouse operations to promote safe, efficient, and sustainable operating procedures in the face of changing climates and conditions within region of expertise.
Technical Assistance and Coordination
Actively establishes and maintains networks, leads coordination and the provision of technical assistance, while demonstrating the ability to represent WFP to a broad spectrum of key stakeholders (e.g. providing services, and working with NDMOs/NDMAs).
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Advanced University degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Language: International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
- National Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience in commercial or humanitarian transportation sectors.
- Experience monitoring and reporting on transport and freight market conditions and trends.
- Experience in dealing with shipments and clearing imports/exports with customs officials.
- Experience coordinating procurement and transportation processes with other units/ teams.
- Experience in warehouse and commodity management.
- Experience working with corporate systems (databases, software).