Micronutrient Initiative Jobs in Nigeria : Program Officer
Welcome to Jobsinnigeria.careers. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Nigeria. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Company: Micronutrient Initiative
- Location: Abuja, Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria
- State: Abuja Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: International Jobs in Nigeria - NGO Jobs in Nigeria
Micronutrient Initiative – Passionate about developing and implementing solutions for hidden hunger, the Micronutrient Initiative works in partnership with governments, the private sector and civil society organizations to address this serious problem that affects one-third of the world´s population.
Governed by an international Board of Directors, MI works in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Latin America and the Middle East and reaches people in more than 75 countries. With headquarters in Ottawa, Canada MI maintains regional offices in New Delhi, India and Dakar, Senegal that manage our country offices in Asia and Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Program Officer, Maternal and Child Health and Nutrition
Reports to/Position Title: Program Director
Overall Purpose/Broad Function
- In line with MI’s strategic objectives in Africa, and in partnership with key stakeholders in Nigeria, provide technical and management support to the Government of Nigeria and other stakeholders to improve coverage of Zinc and Low Osmolar ORS in children with diarrhea, and improve utilization of iron and folic acid supplements in pregnant women, in order to reduce child and maternal mortality and morbidity in Nigeria on a sustainable basis.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
With the support and guidance of relevant members of the MI technical team and the Program Director:
- Ensure a regularly updated situation analysis is available on the status of the use of Zinc in the treatment of diarrhea in children and of iron and folic acid supplementation (IFAS) in pregnant women in Nigeria including the status of work by organizations involved in provision of these services in Nigeria.
- Design and plan projects in Nigeria in collaboration with key stakeholders and partners that respond to programming gaps in the situation analyses and that aim to ensure appropriate intake of micronutrients by targeted groups.
- Ensure regular coordination for Zinc and IFAS programming with key partners to ensure MI funding for these interventions are being used cost-effectively.
- Develop project budgets and agree on financial commitments with Program Director Nigeria and ensure appropriate inputs are made in MI Contracts Database.
- Be alert to opportunities for MI engagement in child and maternal health and nutrition.
Project Implementation and Management:
- Assist the Program Director with the management of MI-funded Zinc and IFAs programs in Nigeria and any other fortification programs that may arise.
- Review and analyze financial and technical progress reports, produce relevant project documents as per MI procedures and guidelines.
- Troubleshoot and recommend corrective action drawing on internal MI expertise in the Nigeria and Regional Offices and beyond as necessary.
- Ensure the Contracts Database is regularly updated, in line with MI contract management procedures.
- Ensure regular coordination meetings with key stakeholders to ensure MI funding for programs is being used cost-effectively during implementation.
- Review programs for lessons learned and document and share appropriately.
- 3.4 Program Research and Evaluation
- Participate on the design of research and evaluation activities for MCHN projects and work closely with researchers and external evaluators to ensure research and evaluation exercises are feasible and respond to project and MoH needs.
- Support the timely dissemination of research and program evaluation findings in Nigeria and elsewhere with the view to inform others on available new information and improved practices for the MCHN program.
- Build and maintain good collaborative relations with Federal and State MoH, other government agencies, UN agencies, and NGOs to promote information sharing and effective coordination of effort to improve and sustain effective and efficient IFA supplementation programs as part of Antenatal Care services for pregnant women and the use of Low Osmolar ORS and Zinc in the treatment of diarrhea in children.
- Participate in national and regional fora relevant to antenatal care and child health.
- Keep up to date with developments in MCHN, antenatal care, BCC, and micronutrient supplementation.
- Document and share with the ER team field stories and lessons learned from the MCHN programs.
- Any other duties as requested.
- Masters Degree from a recognized university in one or more of the following areas: Child Health, Reproductive Health, Nutrition, Nursing, Health Sciences, Food Sciences and Public Health.
- Training in epidemiology, research methodologies desirable.
- At least 3 years work experience in child health, reproductive health and public health, nutrition, food sciences and/or related field in Nigeria or elsewhere.
- Experience in program/project implementation/supervision, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience with micronutrient programs desirable.
- Fluent English.
- Based in Abuja, Nigeria, around 15% of time will be spent travelling in Nigeria.
Other Specific Skill Requirements:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Very good presentational skills
- Good report writing skill
- Excellent team working skills
- IT competency
Application Closing Date
21st December, 2016.
How to ApplyInterested and qualified candidates should forward their resumes and cover letters to: email@example.com quoting job#: 2016-NIG-12 in the subject line. Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF) Note:
- This job description can and will be amended as required from time to time.
- This position is located in Abuja, Nigeria.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.