Mercy Corps Jobs in Nigeria : Security Advisor
Welcome to Jobsinnigeria.careers. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Nigeria. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Mercy Corps Nigeria
- Location: Maiduguri, Borno, Nigeria
- State: Borno Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Nigeria - Security Jobs in Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps has worked in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Advisor
- With the insurgency affecting North East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps is expanding its humanitarian programming to support the conflict-affected population in Borno.
- In response to the ongoing crisis, Mercy Corps is scaling-up food security, non-food items, nutrition, protection, livelihoods, and water sanitation hygiene (WASH) activities in Dikwa, Ngala, and Jere Local Government Areas in Borno State to address emergency needs.
General Position Summary
- Mercy Corps is looking to hire a Security Advisor with an experience from a high-risk, humanitarian context.
- The position requires advanced analytical capacity, together with operational experience in an insecure/post-conflict environments and a strong understanding of the humanitarian community.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for carrying out host focus group discussions, Conducting activities, Key Informant Interviews, writing detailed notes, summary analyses and writing case studies.
- Support Database Officer to clean and manage incoming data
- Follow up with community beneficiaries to gather the event of missing or inaccurate data
- Participate and in any field activities such as community mobilization, information dissemination, attendance of committee meetings and any workshops.
- Enter all training details of all participating Beneficiary details trained under the program
- Assist in completing entries of all trainings, distributions, monitoring, registrations carried out at the field under the program
- Support in data validation of the all activities that take place in the selected regions of intervention carried out by Mercy Corps
- Support any kind of program data entry and documentations
- Participate in any monitoring and evaluations at the field as may be requested by the supervisor
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Any Other duties as assigned
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to Humanitarian Work or Security Management or equivalent field / operational experience
- Any recognized certificate in security management.
- 2 years of experience as a Security Adviser in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience working in complex and volatile contexts,
- Expertise in conducting Security Risk Assessment and advising on security protocols.
- Strong security background particularly working with any INGOs,
- Experience in developing security related technical tools guidelines and systems
- Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage under stressful conditions.
- Demonstrable expertise of Humanitarian risk management.
- Strong demonstrated inter- personal skills in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to make good judgment on staff safety and provide appropriate advice.
- Demonstrated ability to manage under stressful conditions.
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- In particular, the successful candidate will be willing to travel to locations such as Dikwa and Ngala according to the needs of the Mercy Corps program. This will mean sometimes staying and working in stressful environments with very basic living conditions, strictly following security protocols at all times and sometimes working long and irregular hours.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
6th January, 2017.
How to ApplyInterested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their CV's and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected] Or Drop off application in a sealed envelope with the position boldly written to: Mercy Corps Nigeria Plot 119, NUJ Street, New GRA Bama Road, Maiduguri, Borno State. Note
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position