IITA Jobs in Nigeria : Deputy Director General, Research (R4D)-Updated
Welcome to Jobsinnigeria.careers. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Nigeria. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Company: International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
- Location: Ibadan, Oyo, Nigeria
- State: Oyo Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Nigeria
IITA is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
IITA seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at the Institute’s Headquarters, Ibadan:
Job Title: Deputy Director General, Research (R4D)
- The Deputy Director General-Research will be expected to develop research strategies that will support the achievement of development results, a process better known in the institution as Research for Development, and ensure appropriate implementation of those strategies.
- S/he will ensure that IITA’s work not only enlarges global understanding of the problems and potentials faced by Africa’s poor farmers, but also results in better nourished consumers, more profitable smallholder farm operations, and a more competitive and sustainable agricultural sector.
- The DDG-Research will work closely with IITA’s Director General to reach out to reach out to potential funders and partners who share IITA’s commitment to research that nourishes Africa.
The tasks will include the following:
- Lead and guide the R4D Directorate, providing oversight on performance, budget preparation and execution, and achievement/communication of results.
- Provide strategic research leadership to ensure that IITA achieves its goals, uses its resources effectively and contributes to the broader goals of the CGIAR.
- Initiate and lead major strategic research as assigned by the DG.
- Coordinate regional hub directors and the IITA program managers for the CGIAR Research Programs.
- Strategic management of competencies of R4D and integrate them in relevant CRPs.
- Strategic oversight of Data Information and Management Unit.
- Serve as a member of IITA’s senior management team, contributing to research policy development, action planning, corporate performance, and communications efforts.
- Collaborate closely with the Deputy Director General of Partnerships for Delivery to identify appropriate partners and resources, develop proposals, and resolve partnership/resource issues arising during implementation.
- Contribute at a strategic level to proposal development and resource mobilization.
- Enhance the visibility of IITA in the global research community.
- Assist with external liaison, including with CGIAR funders, the CGIAR, and other Centers, Sub-Regional Organizations, NARS, NGO, and other partners.
- The candidate should have a PhD degree in plant breeding, biotechnology or other research areas related to genetic improvement such as plant and soil health.
- At least 15 years of experience in research and 5 years in research for development management with increasing responsibilities.
- Demonstrated excellence as a researcher in genetic improvement, biotechnology, plant protection or related research area.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross cultural environment.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and team building skills.
- Knowledge of sub-Saharan Africa and good contacts with key funders or partners of IITA is preferred.
- Strong English language skills (knowledge of French or Portuguese is also an advantage).
The contract will be for a period of three years based on performance and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Application Closing Date
6th January, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested applicant should forward their applications including a covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).